"Cars" - Possibly Pixar's weakest film to date

Sunday, June 11, 2006
If you haven't seen "Cars" yet, then you may want to skip reading this post until after you've seen it.

I had high hopes for this film, after seeing a display of the concept art in California. I was pretty let down. I didn't really care for the film. Here's why:
  • Too many main characters, or maybe too many characters that eat up screen time. I never got why Lightning cared so much for racing (just being built for speed isn't enough). If he had more screen time to explain his story, maybe I would hav efelt something more for him.

  • The blue girl car. Why did Lightning care for her? I didn't get that. Is it just because she's female? That's a bit shallow. Maybe that was the point, and he was supposed to get more shallow as the movie progressed? If so, they didn't really sell that point.

  • Mater was the only character that held my interest. His "All I want to do is ride in a helicopter" goal seemed a bit tacked on. Again, maybe it wasn't supposed to be that way, and there were just too many characters to show during the course of the film.

  • What was with that hotel thing out in the canyon? They never went inside, they never really said much about it, other than it used to be great. Why would I care about that place?

  • Lightning didn't really seem to change at all from the start of the film to the end. The film closes with him right back in the racing circuit.

  • There was way too much exposition in this film through fast paced TV type clips, or characters just told you about something rather than showing you.

"What is the character feeling, and why does he feel that way?" - Frank Thomas

I had no idea for most of the film what anyone thought. Farting tractors and stereotyped characters (a VW van that's a hippie and an Army jeep who acts like a soldier... who couldn't have seen that coming?) didn't do it for me.

Story - C

Character development - C-

Models - A

Rigging - A+

Lighting - A+

Animation - A

FX - A

Editing - A

Sound and music - A+

This was Pixar's weakest film to date, in my opinion. Let's hope the next one is better.

0 comments: